Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Telling your spouse you want a divorce...

Coming to the decision that you want a divorce is hard but having to tell your spouse is even harder. I don't want to say that this post will make it any easier but I am hoping that after reading it you will be more prepared and know what to expect; this may help throughout the actual divorce. An article in total divorce gives some suggestions to work towards a "healthy divorce". First they suggest to "acknowledge your contributions" by this they mean don't place all the blame on your spouse. Second, "listen" make sure you communicate your feelings clearly and listen to your spouse's reaction. Third, "consider your spouse's feelings", divorce can bring up an array of emotions, so acknowledge your spouse's reaction. Fourth, "think like a business person", eliminate as much negative energy as possible. Fifth, "do your homework" understand that after the divorce you will be starting a new life. (Image Source)

If you feel as though those tips were not enough and you want some more suggestions before making the big step of telling your spouse, Divorce Aid also has tips to help you tell you spouse. Divorce aid states, "You may think that you both believe that the marriage is over. Be careful. This could still come as a complete shock to your partner and the way you communicate this decision will pave the way for future discussion during the separation or divorce process". These tips include, "choosing a time carefully", they suggest to pick a time when you will not be disturbed. If you have children make sure they are with a close relative or friend. Next, try to speak slowly and calmly. They state that shock may set in, therefore you will probably need to quietly repeat your decision to your partner several times. If you have children they suggest to try to agree on immediate concerns about the family's welfare and most importantly agree about telling the children together.

My suggestion would be to make sure you are clear on your decision before you decide to bring divorce up to your partner, and if your not sure don't tell your spouse you want a divorce but let them know how you've been feeling, you may be able to prevent a divorce. However, if you are one hundred percent positive that you want a divorce, just remember to consider your spouse's feelings when you tell him or her. (Image Source) For more information on how to tell your spouse you can visit, divorce resource and family law software. GOOD LUCK !!!


9 comments:

  1. This may be one of the hardest times ever. I always told myself I wouldn't be one of "those" families. I thought I always had the ideal family. Telling one spouse you want a divorce has to be one of the scariest times. Not only are you breaking the news to your spouse, but also your children if you have some. Looking up ways to approach this may be a good idea and you provided very good tips! I hope things get easier, but very good article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You off excellent advice in this post. It's interesting how many people have told me post divorce that they wished they would have worked harder at their marriage. I have many clients who come to see me about divorce, but are very unsure as to the pat they want to take. I always refer them to marriage counseling, it's interesting the number of people who hadn't thought of it previously.
    Deborah Moskovitch
    Divorce Consultant and Author
    The Smart Divorce

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I told my wife I wanted a divorce, I felt like I had a bowling ball in my throat I was so nervous. I had spoken with my New Jersey divorce attorney before I said anything to her and he told me it was never easy. I can't tell you how right he was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good one it is.. thank Nilsa for sharing this.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. divorce is so cruel to the partner that is unsuspecting, that all reasons should be spelled out to see if change or reconciliation is possible. What about God in the equation? Is this just about a whim, or temporary feelings that will go away after a few months, and what about the other person, is he suppose to feel happy about your decision? Just cool it and stop freaking out and thinking that divorce is the best answer, for a stronger marriage of love is the best, not the ugliness of a throwing away of love and communication between two. These 30 day divorces usally don't give the other a chance to emotionally revive love or seek help, and just destroys what marriage is suppose to be, a joining of one from two. I just wish we talked about what was bugging the other first to see if there was a easy fix, after all, we had fixed things well in the past, it just doesn't seem fair that one can make a decision for the other and that's it. geeese. come on now, where is the Love?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Linder , i want to use this medium to testify of how i got back
    my boyfriend after 8months of separation, I and my boyfriend broke up on
    the 12th of August because he felt i was cheating on him with a male friend
    of mine, i tried all i could to explain to him but he paid deaf ears, i was
    emotionally devastated because i really did love him until i saw a post on
    the internet about a spell caster, who helps people gain back their lost
    lover, at first i doubted if it was real because i never believed in spells
    but decided to give it a try, when i contacted this spell caster, he helped
    me cast a re-union spell and i got back my boyfriend within 72hours
    (3days). Contact this great spell caster for your relationship or marriage
    problems via email drojukuspellhome@gmail.com.... Goodluck

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe this, my husband is back, i am greatful to see my husband returned with full force, Mr Robinson made this miracle to happen, Happiness has come to me at last, I am very pleased to say things are going well, I truly believe this spell has made difference in my relationship, Mr Robinson is truly gifted, I will recommend to anybody who's looking for a serious spell caster to cast a love spell him or her should contact this email robinsonbuckler@yahoo. com or call Mr Robinson + 19715126745, he wont disappointed you if you ask him to help you. All I want to say is that this spell caster MADE MY DREAMS COME TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy, that I cannot even explain it, I just don’t have words to express my feelings and gratitude towards prophetjakula. You are the most powerful spell caster I have ever met. Your love spells works wonder, I lost the hope of getting my Husband back from another woman, but it was your belief and love spell that help me get back my Husband back within 48hours. Thanks a lot prophetjakula@gmail.com I would ever be obliged to you for the spell you had casted for me.

    ReplyDelete


  9. I was in total despair when I found Dr. Todd. My life was going terrible and I didn't know if I was coming or going. I had just gone through a rough divorce, wasn't making enough money to sustain me and my children, and my 17 year old son had just gone to jail for the first time. When I talked to him, I immediately found a sense of peace. He was very honest with me and I could feel that. He also told me that everything would be okay. After my work began, things began to change. My bills were all caught up, the relationship I was in became much stronger, I was never FLAT broke, and my son was released from jail earlier than we expected!! I also completely got over the failed marriage and began to move on. And, received a better position at my job which will cause an $800 per month increase!! I felt completely comfortable with the work that was being done because I was always encouraged by Dr. Todd. manifestspellcast@gmail.com is the BEST!!!!

    ReplyDelete